Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Ghastly Game

In a classic display of the Purdue ineptitude of the past, the Boilermakers faced off against the Badgers and lost by the mind-blowing score of 37-0.

In the first drive of the game, Wisconsin easily drove 80 yards down the field in a drive that did not feature a single pass. Wisconsin's running game was established early and would be used to spectacular effect as the Boilermaker's defense was not able to stop the run during the game, let alone properly tackle.

Not wanting to be left out, Purdue's offense also floundered and had many dropped passes and errant throws on the part of quarterback Joey Elliott. After the first quarter "TerBush Watch '09" was officially on and he was finally on the field late in the third quarter. Elliott finished the day with a 21.7% pass efficiency, while TerBush had 40%...not bad for a freshman being thrown into a game.

It was so bad that in the fourth quarter down by 37, I was thrilled at the prospect of a field goal as a showing of some offensive productivity on the day. The drive, like all others in the day, went nowhere and it looked like Purdue was going to kick. However, on the third down Wisconsin recovered a Jaycen Taylor fumble to close out the game.

As I cried my way back to West Lafayette, I came to realize that this game was just a bad week for the team....a very bad week. Dropped passes have plagued the team all year, but this week was especially bad and was combined with Elliott's errant passing.

Next week, I believe the team will bounce back and be productive offensively. The defense has actually been pretty good against the run this year, especially against mobile QB's so I believe they will get their act together for Michigan as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment