Lately I've been reading some Michigan fans' blogs and I've come up with an idea. After I stopped laughing at their anger for us, I decided it's time to start a new tradition.
Purdue and Indiana have the Old Oaken Bucket, Purdue and Notre Dame have the Shillelagh Trophy, and Purdue and Illinois, the Purdue Cannon. Purdue and Michigan need something to battle over, besides receivers.
Now I know that you Michigan fans out there think that Purdue is a second rate team that shouldn't even be allowed into the sacred "Big House." The wining-est team in the nation should not even be bothered by Purdue, right?? Well over the last two years, some drama has gone down and some shots were fired both ways, but now that we have beaten you two years in a row and sent your coach crying, I believe you have been brought down a few pegs yourself. Hopefully your ego has, too.
My roommate and I thought long and hard about this. Our first idea for a trophy was based off of Rich Rodriguez's nickname, DickRod. Clearly this is not a good idea...unless it was awarded to the loser.
Given the last two years, we should award the winner of the Purdue/Michigan game with the Snake Oil Trophy. In my mind I see a jar with DickRod's face on it. The trophy will be a token of the history (recent and distant past) of the two programs, and will remind everybody not to be a douche bag.
We can even have mini-traditions for the game. Say that Purdue wins, every year Purdue wins the team will hoist Zack Reckman and parade him around the stadium. Imagine, if you will, in 40 years time, an old Reckman being carried around by students who barely know why they're doing so. That my friends is a tradition.
I see the winners proudly hoisting the trophy above their heads and thinking that next year the same team that you deem unworthy may make a grown man cry and put the final nails in your season's coffin.
-D
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment